Lets Talk Low Carb Cooking and More!

News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What’s your favorite pizza crust?  (Read 3587 times)

Sanjosedale

• View Profile
What’s your favorite pizza crust?
« on: August 29, 2019, 03:35:53 PM »
Like a few others here, I’ve been on the great (low carb) pizza quest. It seems to me there are 3 general approaches:

1. Cauliflower crust
2. Fathead dough, using almond and/or coconut flour
3. Pork rinds used as the “flour”

I have a pizza oven in the back year, it’s taken a back seat since doing low carb. None of these low carb recipes are suitable for the high temps of the pizza oven. I’ve decided to indulge in the real thing one or twice a month, but still crave pizza more often than that.

TMB

• Global Moderator
  • My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
    • View Profile
Re: What’s your favorite pizza crust?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 05:05:22 PM »
Fat head fior sure for me  ;)   

Although I do have crust posted here.  I'll look and repost

Sanjosedale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 06:35:10 PM »
Have you tried pork rinds? What I’ve tried is basically fat head, but rinds in place of almond or coconut flour. So far, I prefer it, a bonus is pork rind is zero carb.

TMB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 07:44:20 PM »
Have you tried pork rinds? What I’ve tried is basically fat head, but rinds in place of almond or coconut flour. So far, I prefer it, a bonus is pork rind is zero carb.
No I have not, would you share the recipe I'd love to try it out

TMB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 07:51:58 PM »
Did you try pre baking the other crust before adding toppings?     Reason I asked is I tried my Fat Head recipe with OONI 2 and had good results with it just have to play with it a little

I baked mine for a few mins then removed and flipped baked a little more then removed and topped then back it till done   

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:13:17 PM by TMB »

bamabob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 08:29:03 PM »
Tommy, those pizzas look fantastic.  The only low carb crust I've tried is cauliflower crust which I liked quite well.

But I guess my favorite crust so far is no crust.  Pizza Hut has their lunch buffet on the cheap, just scrape the toppings off the crust.  Even here at the house if we have pizza I'll just have the sauce, meats, cheese and veges.  There are plenty of carbs in the sauce and cheeses so leaving out the crust helps keep it "legal".  Plus a whole lot less hassle.

bamabob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »

I have a pizza oven in the back year, it’s taken a back seat since doing low carb. None of these low carb recipes are suitable for the high temps of the pizza oven. I’ve decided to indulge in the real thing one or twice a month, but still crave pizza more often than that.

Sanjosedale, I'm with you on this one.  If I'm going to fix a pizza it's going to be on the wood fired keg and be the real thing with a cold beer or two.  I'll just call it a cheat day, though for me it may be just once or twice a year.

A Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA and a Broil King 7 minute work of art:

Good to the last bite:

Sanjosedale

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 11:28:29 PM »
There are a ton of recipients on line, Google : Keto pork rind pizza dough

Here is the last one I used

https://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-pork-rind-pizza-crust-282073

Did you try pre baking the other crust before adding toppings?     Reason I asked is I tried my Fat Head recipe with OONI 2 and had good results with it just have to play with it a little

I baked mine for a few mins then removed and flipped baked a little more then removed and topped then back it till done   

Sanjosedale

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 11:32:20 PM »
With all these low carb pseudo pizzas, it requires pre baking the crust...at least all that I’ve seen.

For real pizza, I’m usually doing Neapolitan Pizza, with the oven up to 800+. At least with a thin crust with 00 flour, the carbs aren’t that bad! Really, honest, I’m sure of it! 🤪

Sanjosedale

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 03:03:52 PM »
We made this pork rind crust again last night, really very good. I don’t consider this “pizza” rather a vehicle to hold pizza toppings, lol. I took this recipe and used half for a thin crust, don’t neglect it, will burn the edges quickly.  Amazingly, I don’t taste the pork rind at all. Some people say they tase too much egg in these recipes. One tip I learned, add a touch of liquid sweetener, like Stevia along with a touch of vinegar, it seems to mask out the egg flavor. I’m able to eat this pie, NY style, pick up a slice and fold, it holds holds just like pizza!

TMB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 09:50:07 PM »
I need to try the pork rind recipe for sure

I just have a hard time with pork rinds and pizza lol

TMB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 12:09:55 PM »
Now that cooler weather is moving in (90's)  :D    start lookingn for more cooks in my OONI with different crust.   I haope to do a few in the nex few weekends before I have surgery