Lets Talk Low Carb Cooking and More!

News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BBQ sauce  (Read 1451 times)

TMB

• Global Moderator
  • My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
    • View Profile
BBQ sauce
« on: February 26, 2019, 08:18:49 PM »
Here is the recipe as for now,   this can change if I can save carbs and keep the taste..    Not extream low in carbs but if looking for a much lower version it's it!     

1 cup of Heinz low carb ketchup
1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon of Black Strap molasses   Thanks Cliff I made the change
1/2 cup deit Dr. Pepper
1 Tbs Soy sauce
1/2 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs minced onion
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp liquid smoke
1 Tbs of Gurm gum (to thicken)
1 Tbs Stevia (Pyrue brand Wal Mart)
3 Tbs Erythritol  ( I use NOW brand)     

Mix all togther and let simmer for 30 mins before using.  Even better over night   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 07:01:41 PM by TMB »

TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • NE Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: BBQ sauce
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 10:17:47 PM »
Here is the recipe as for now,   this can change if I can save carbs and keep the taste..    Not extream low in carbs but if looking for a much lower version it's it!     

1 cup of Heinz low car ketchup
1/2 cup of dark brown sugar (there is a Splenda version which I have not tried yet)  <-- See notes below on this.
1/2 cup deit Dr. Pepper
1 Tbs Soy sauce
1/2 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs minced onion
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp liquid smoke
1 Tbs of Guar gum (to thicken)
1 Tbs Stevia (Pyrue brand Wal Mart)    <-- See note below on this!
3 Tbs Erythritol  ( I use NOW brand)     

Mix all togther and let simmer for 30 mins before using.  Even better over night   

Not a criticism, just my 2ยข on how to make this even more low-carb...

Splenda sweetener (regular or brown sugar version) is not a good choice for anyone on Keto or diabetetic.   The main ingredient is Maltodextrin, which is a corn sugar and is known to spike blood sugar as bad or worse than regular sugar in many folks (it does for me)!

What makes brown sugar, brown sugar is molasses.  I'd try about 1/2 - 3/4 teasoop of Black Strap molasses instead of the 1/2 cup brown sugar.  That would have approximately the same amount of molasses content with a fraction of the carbs!

Black strap molasses is about 3x more conentrated than regular dark molasses, so it's a great way to get that molasses flavor in something with minimum carbs.

Nothing wrong with the Pyure sweetener (if you like it), but this ingredient would be better listed as a "Stevia Blend" rather than "Stevia" (IMHO).  It's a Stevia/Erythretol blend with other "natural flavor".

This would make a great discussion topic, because some of these "stevia" products can really be confusing.