Lets Talk Low Carb Cooking and More!

News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Beware of net carbs in Keto products  (Read 253 times)

Sanjosedale

• View Profile
Beware of net carbs in Keto products
« on: June 25, 2020, 10:15:53 PM »
I’ve been enjoying Franz Zero Carb White bread for a few months. Each slice is advertised as 12g carbs and 12g fiber. The other day I was watching on of my favorite YouTube channels, Serious Keto, where he ate some supposedly zero carb bread and took blood Glucose measurements, the results were terrible. I decided to do my own test, I am Type 2 diabetic (well controlled with oral meds) my beginning blood glucose was 114, I then ate a grilled cheese sandwich, with two slices of this “zero carb” bread. At the 30 min mark, it was 134, so up 20. At the 1 hr mark, it was 165, so up 51 in total 😬 After 2 hrs, it was back to  130. So much for Zero Carbs! Here is a link to the Franz web site, listing the ingredients,                                                                                                                           https://franzbakery.com/HTML/productView.html#category=breads.premium&id=breads.premium.keto

I’m going to repeat this test with Mission Carb balance tortillas that I’ve been using for a long time, I fear similar results.

TMB

• Global Moderator
  • My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
    • View Profile
Re: Beware of net carbs in Keto products
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 04:20:15 PM »
Wow that’s not good.  Waiting your second test on this one. 

I wonder if the net carbs vs true carb count is a real measurement?

I have lost weight with net carb count but wondering now was I really do doing as good as I could have

Sanjosedale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 06:33:14 PM »
I just did the same test with Mission Carb Balance Flour Tortilla. 19g total with 15g fiber. Good news, it had NO impact on my blood sugar.  I do Keto (Actually lazy Keto I guess) mainly for blood sugar control, not weight loss, so this is important. I don’t know the effect on Ketosis??

Sanjosedale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 07:36:01 PM »
Aargggg...I wrote that too soon. At the one hour mark I was unchanged, at the 2 hr mark, I spiked up to 180, so same problem as with the bread. I’ve been eating these for a number of years! 😕

TMB

• Global Moderator
  • My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 12:48:55 AM »
Dang making me wonder now BIG TIME about Net carbs  :(     Although I did really good weight wise with it

Thanks for the heads up!  Looks like more looking into this subject

bamabob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 01:31:36 PM »
In my experience I did incredibly better with weight loss back in the days before counting net carbs, as in the orginal Atkins diet from the 90's.  Hoping to get back into the low carb lifestyle after this weekend, need to take some weight off.  I'll be counting total carbs, not net.