Lets Talk Low Carb Cooking and More!

News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Low Carb Pickled Eggs & Sausages  (Read 1702 times)

TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • NE Ohio
    • View Profile
Low Carb Pickled Eggs & Sausages
« on: May 02, 2020, 04:04:25 AM »
Low Carb Pickled Eggs & Sausages

I've been working on these recipes for a few years, tweaking them and replacing the sugar to make them low carb/ Keto-friendly, and I'm pretty happy with the results. 

These make great snacks on their own, or go great with a salad.

Note on the sweeteners: I am using straight granulated erythretol and pure powdered Stevia Extract (Now Brand).  You can substitute the same amount Truvia or Pyure sweeteners, for the Erythretol (or adjust to taste), and drop the stevia. Both of those brands are erythretol/stevia blends.

Classic Pickled Beets & Eggs
These are the quickest to pickle as you can eat them as soon as the next day (but they're even better after a few days).  The beets are also nice on a salad, and have a LOT of health benefits!

8 - 12 eggs - Hard boiled and peeled
1 (15 ounce) can beets (sliced, whole or pieces - doesn't matter - I usually use sliced)
The juice from the beets (about 2/3 cup)
1 cup vinegar
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp stevia extract, or 1/2 cup Erythretol + 1/8 tsp Stevia extract
1 - 2 teaspoon allspice berries or cloves (optional)

Directions:

Pour juice off of beets into a saucepan, then layer eggs in 2 quart jars, or a single large glass jar.

Drain beet juice into a sauce pan. Add vinegar, sweetener, & allspice. Bring to a boil. Pour over eggs, making sure the allspice/cloves get into the jar. Top with the beets (add additional vinegar if needed), cover with a lid and chill overnight. They'll be ready to eat the next day, but will get even better a few days later.

Amish- Style Mustard Pickled Eggs

8 - 12 eggs - Hard boiled and peeled
1 cup vinegar
2/3 cup water
1/2 tsp stevia extract, or 1/2 cup Erythretol + 1/8 tsp Stevia Extract
1 TBS whole mustard Seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp Turmeric (if you don't have turmeric, you can use 4 - 5 drops of yellow food color - I prefer the turmeric)
1/2 tsp Dried Dill or Dill seed (optional)

Place eggs, whole mustard seeds and dill (if using) into a quart jar.  Mix the rest of the ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring often.  Pour sauce over eggs, making sure they are submerged (add additional vinegar if needed). Let cool. Refrigerate for at least 48 - 72 hours to let the flavors meld and the eggs to absorb the sauce.

Hot Sauce Pickled Eggs & Sausages

8 - 10 hard boiled eggs, or
12 hot dogs (or other sausages), cut into four bite-size pieces (1 1/2" length)

1 1/3 cups Louisiana-Style Hot Pepper Sauce
1/3 cup water
1/4 tsp Stevia Extract, or 1 TBS Ethrythretol + 1/8 tsp Stevia (Enough to balance the flavor, not make them sweet.)
2 - 3 Garlic Cloves, peeled
1 - 3 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional - for more heat)

Place eggs/sausages in a quart jar with the garlic and red pepper flakes (if using).  Combine the Erythretol & hot sauce in a sauce pan and bring just to a boil to dissolve the erythretol. Pour hot mixture over eggs/sausages. Top off with additional hot sauce if needed. Refrigerate for at least 48 - 72 hours. Best after about a week.

A couple more notes:

>  A quart-sized jar will hold 9 - 10 eggs, so I usually plan my batches in groups of 10.  A 2-quart jar works best for the Pickled Beats & Eggs and will easily fit a dozen eggs along with the beets.

>  I like to either shake the jars, or take a spoon and carefully move the eggs around, at least once the first few days to be sure the eggs are getting evenly pickled.

Thanks for looking, and enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 04:24:47 PM by TentHunteR »

bamabob

• View Profile
Re: Low Carb Pickled Eggs & Sausages
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 03:49:32 PM »
Those all sound good, will have to give one or three a try! :thumbup:

TMB

• Global Moderator
  • My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
    • View Profile
Re: Low Carb Pickled Eggs & Sausages
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 01:45:58 PM »
Not big on pickled eggs or sausage but Kimmie LOVES them so looks like this will be a good one to keep! :D :D