Lets Talk Low Carb Cooking and More!

News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Let's talk carbs, daily limit....total or net  (Read 1791 times)

bamabob

• View Profile
Let's talk carbs, daily limit....total or net
« on: February 11, 2020, 02:03:25 PM »
I did the Atkins diet back in 2000 and lost 45 lbs in 10 months.  Back then I counted total carbs and limited them to 20 per day.  Nowadays with counting net carbs it seems like the weight loss is MUCH slower, I had been contributing that to being 20 years older, which I'm sure has a lot to do with it.  But recently I started counting total carbs again with a 20 per day limit and the weight loss has started again. 
What do y'all do and what has been your experience?

TMB

• Global Moderator
  • My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk carbs, daily limit....total or net
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 02:11:07 PM »
I did the Atkins diet back in 2000 and lost 45 lbs in 10 months.  Back then I counted total carbs and limited them to 20 per day.  Nowadays with counting net carbs it seems like the weight loss is MUCH slower, I had been contributing that to being 20 years older, which I'm sure has a lot to do with it.  But recently I started counting total carbs again with a 20 per day limit and the weight loss has started again. 
What do y'all do and what has been your experience?
Mine is the same Total carbs vs Net Carbs is different.    If I do 30 total with NO NET CARBS  I drop weight much better.   Bad thing is your limited on your meals and what you can have and not have.   I have to enjoy food or I can not stay with any eating plan.

I do Net Carbs only because I can maintain weight and even drop a little yet still make things I like to eat.     

Lets face it, most of my low carb cooking is based on Net Carbs including Atkins bars for a snack   

TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • NE Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 11:07:10 PM »
I think 20 total carbs is next to impossible to sustain without being miserable.  Too much protein is hard on the kidneys, and can trigger gout (if you're prone to it like I am).  They don't even recommend that low of a count for Diabetes. 

Dietary fiber (both soluble and insoluble), even though they're counted as carbs, are not utilized by your body as energy, so net carbs (the carbs left after subtracting dietary fiber) are what your body can actually use as energy, and is absolutely what matters.

When in the weight loss phase, I try to keep net carbs to 20g or less per day.  This is easy to do with lots of salad and cruciferous veggies (cabbage family), squashes, etc. being the source of the carbs.  In maintenance phase is where I can relax and do upwards of 70g per day.

Also, don't forget that was 20 years ago when you did the original Atkins type diet, and age definitely plays a role in weight loss. :(
I know I can't lose weight as easily now versus 20 years ago. :'(   

bamabob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 02:23:52 AM »
I'll turn 65 later this year and am about to the point where I would be satisfied to just maintain my current weight.  Last year I lost 20 lbs from January to April but so far this year I've only lost 6 so far.  I want to lose another 20 this year.  I did manage to keep off the 20 last year though I really didn't diet after April, just a different lifestyle.  I started again in January this year and hoped to lose 20 lbs by April but I'm beginning to thing that ain't gonna happen.
I'm 5'8" and weigh 200 lbs so I'm considered obese class 1.