Lets Talk Low Carb Cooking and More!

News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Supplements?  (Read 1275 times)

bamabob

• View Profile
Supplements?
« on: April 16, 2019, 07:40:17 PM »
I've been taking a daily regimine of nutritional supplements dating back to the '90's.  multi-vitamin, niacin, potassium, glucosamine-msm, garlic capsules, cayenne capsules, fish oil.......etc.

I recently received an email about KETO BHB ketogenic booster.  It's supposed to boost the ketones and speed the weight loss or jump start the process if you're in a stall.  I've done some research and it seems to be a scam.  While it does increase ketones, since it is an outside source and not your body producing them from being in ketoisis it does nothing.

Anyone have any experience with this?  Any other supplements worthwhile?

TMB

• Global Moderator
  • My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
    • View Profile
Re: Supplements?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:46:18 PM »
I've been taking a daily regimine of nutritional supplements dating back to the '90's.  multi-vitamin, niacin, potassium, glucosamine-msm, garlic capsules, cayenne capsules, fish oil.......etc.

I recently received an email about KETO BHB ketogenic booster.  It's supposed to boost the ketones and speed the weight loss or jump start the process if you're in a stall.  I've done some research and it seems to be a scam.  While it does increase ketones, since it is an outside source and not your body producing them from being in ketoisis it does nothing.

I talk to my doctor about these things and was told most are good for nothing but making money for those sell them.    She said stay away from them and if I need to take anything just take a good name brand muti-vitamin.   Mostm things over the counter aren't worth the money nor do they work like they say

BUT I am open minded enough to listen if someone has a good vitamin t take

bamabob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 12:50:41 AM »

I talk to my doctor about these things and was told most are good for nothing but making money for those sell them.    She said stay away from them and if I need to take anything just take a good name brand muti-vitamin.   Mostm things over the counter aren't worth the money nor do they work like they say

BUT I am open minded enough to listen if someone has a good vitamin t take

I could write a lot regarding making money for those selling them.  Back around the turn of the century I lived in the 'burbs of Cincinnati, had a neighbor who lost his job in the dotcom bust.  He got a job as a sales rep for a drug company.  Now he could tell some stories about the kickback money that doctors made from promoting the latest and greatest cureall that you had to take everyday for the rest of your life and the commissions he made from giving out free samples to the doctors to distribute to get patients hooked.  re: addicted

Last year I decided to retire at the age of 63.  I visit my Primary doc about once a year, I guess I've been blessed with good health.  (maybe the long term regimine of supplements have something to do with it).  The nurse that you see before the doc always asks what meds your taking.  When I say nothing she always seems surprised and somewhat disappoined as she is ready to enter a list into her tablet.  Since i was retiring I wanted to make sure I didn't have any underlying medical issues so I wanted a stress test, bone density test and colonoscopy.  I had a brother die of a heart attack at the age of 47, my mother had osteoporosis and arthritis, my father died of colon cancer and had arthritis.  All tests came back negative.  Heart working fine. bone density fine, not even one polyp.

I guess my point is that I don't trust the medical "industry".  While they serve their purpose and help many in true need, it has been my experience that they also try to find a reason to prescribe a drug that you really don't need instead of recommending a lifestyle change.  I'm glad to see that many are coming around.  I had this discussion with my doc, he smiled, shrugged and said keep doing whatever it is your are doing.

I didn't mean to hijack my own thead but there are many opinions starting to change about the effects of the standard American diet, (SAD).  Maybe fat isn't the enemy.  Maybe sugar is the enemy.  Maybe the USDA food pyriamid is upside down.  Maybe DC lobbyists are responsible for that.  Maybe many are getting rich from the detrimental effects on the populace and their dependence on prescription drugs to counteract the effects of the SAD diet

bamabob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 03:23:32 PM »
Okay, back on topic.

I take a Kirkland, (Costco), multivitamin, mature multi.  Most of the other supplements are the NOW brand which I've found to be a good quality.

Here's a link to the Keto BHB ketones in a bottle that I was referring to. 

https://ketobhb.org/